Cole YoungMS PE
Mr. Cole Young is a project engineer and a member of MEA Forensic’s Collision Reconstruction group in Los Angeles. A registered professional engineer in California, he examines vehicles, inspects crash locations and analyzes the physical evidence.
Cole holds Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Minnesota and the University of California at Irvine. His Master’s thesis focused on using video to quantify the movement of competitive divers. “I have always been interested in the study of motion,” Cole observes, “and that continues at MEA.”
In 2017, Cole conducted a series of SUV rollover tests to investigate the complex motions during these kinds of accidents. External video cameras and drones recorded vehicle motion while internal video cameras captured the movement of dummies inside the SUVs. This research improved our understanding of how rollover accidents occur.
Cole has learned how to extract information such as vehicle speed from security camera, dashcam, and cell phone video. He has also developed methods for determining the position of evidence at an accident scene from photographs. Cole’s detailed approach to working with video and photographic evidence extends to how he uses graphics to illustrate the results of his analysis: “I focus on presenting information clearly and allowing the physical evidence to show how an event unfolded.”
areas of specialization
- Collision reconstruction
- PC-Crash simulation
- Video and photo analysis
- Master of Science, Mechanical Engineering, University of California Irvine, Irvine, 2011.
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, 2009.
- Registered Professional Engineer, State of California, May 2014. License number 37057.
- California Association of Accident Reconstruction Specialists (CA2RS), 2013
- Law Enforcement & Emergency Services Video Association (LEVA), 2016
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), since 2015
- Southwest Association of Technical Accident Investigators (SATAI), since 2018
- Professional Experience
- Research Activities
- Research Publications
- Lectures & Presentations
- Training & Professional Dev
- MEA Forensic Engineers & Scientists
Project Engineer, August 2012 to present
Conducts technical investigations involving motor vehicle accident reconstruction. Case analysis includes severity assessment, collision sequence, occupant kinematics, vehicle speed, vehicle dynamics, and accident avoidance potential.
- McCarthy Design Associates
Assistant Engineer, September 2011 to February 2012
Conducted technical investigations involving intellectual property patents and product liability in the design of mechanisms and machines.
- University of California, Irvine
Member of Biorobotics Group, 2010 – 2011
Research thrust in robotic rehabilitation under advisement of Professor David Reinkensmeyer.
- University of California, Irvine
Masters Thesis, Completed 2011
Classification framework for the analysis and synthesis of movement quality in competitive diving.
- University of California, Irvine
Interactive Media Installment to promote physical wellness, 2010 – 2011
Melding of Digital Media Art, Dance, Mechanical Engineering, and Computer Science disciplines to create a feedback enriched movement environment.
This list is a selection of publications authored by this expert. For a more complete list, please contact their project coordinator.
Lectures & Presentations
June 16, 2020 - June 18, 2020
Cole Young on the State of the Art in Video Analysis, Photogrammetry, and UAVs at SAE Digital Summit
May 7, 2020, 9:30 am - 1:30 pm
Westin San Diego Downtown
MEA Forensic California – Let the Evidence Speak seminar in San Diego
October 16, 2019 - October 17, 2019
Riverside and Los Angeles
MEA Forensic California – Let the evidence speak seminar
October 18, 2018, 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Marriott Irvine Spectrum
MEA Los Angeles – Let the evidence speak seminar in Orange County
June 6, 2018, 1:30 pm - 4:00 pm
Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim, CA
SPAR3D Expo & Conference
May 18, 2018, 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm
Orange County District Attorney’s Office
Orange County District Attorney Training Presentation
- June 6, 2018 – Video Analysis in Forensic Crash Reconstruction: Video Matching using Laser Scan Data to Quantify Vehicle Motion, Spar 3D Expo and Conference, Anaheim, CA.
- May 10, 2018 –Video Evidence: More Than Meets the Eye, San Diego, CA.
- Oct 27, 2017 – Rollover Reconstruction, CA2RS (California Association of Accident Reconstruction Specialists), Fall Conference – Anaheim, CA.
- April 14, 2016 – Vehicle Kinematics and Deceleration Rates of Four Staged SUV Rollovers, 2016 SAE World Congress, Detroit, MI
- November 4, 2015 – Caught on Tape, Video Analysis, 2015 Southern California Fraud Investigators’ Association
- March 11, 2015 – Video Analysis in Collision Reconstruction, 2015 Combined Claims Conference, Orange, CA
Training & Professional Development
- October 22-25, 2019 – Accessing and Interpreting Heavy Vehicle Event Data Recorders, Society of Automotive Engineers, Oxnard, CA.
- July 28 – August 1, 2019 – SIGGRAPH2019, 46th International Conference and Exhibition on Computer Graphics & Interactive Techniques, Los Angeles, CA.
- December 3-7, 2018 – LEVA Level 4: Advanced Forensic Video Analysis & The Law, Law Enforcement & Emergency Services Video Association, Houston, TX.
- September 26, 2018 – Utilizing Video Evidence in Traffic Investigations, Orange County Traffic Investigations Association (OCTIA), Irvine, CA.
- April 30 – May 1, 2018 – MEA Toyota Vehicle Control History Testing for Steering and Braking, Irvine, CA
- January 23-26, 2018 – PC-Crash live training: Essentials and Advanced, Irvine, CA.
- Sept 11-15, 2017 – LEVA Level 3: Photographic/Video Comparison, Law Enforcement & Emergency Services Video Association, Kansas City, MO.
- June 19-23, 2017 – LEVA Level 2: Digital Multimedia Evidence Processing, Law Enforcement & Emergency Services Video Association, Kansas City, MO.
- May 30-31, 2017 – iNPUT-ACE Training: A Dynamic Video Workflow Engine for Law Enforcement, Surrey, BC.
- December 1, 2016 – Reconstruction and Analysis of Rollover Crashes of Light Vehicles, Norwalk CA.
- November 14-18, 2016 – Law Enforcement & Emergency Services Video Association, Annual Conference, Scottsdale, AZ.
- July 18-22, 2016 – LEVA Level 1: Forensic Video Analysis & The Law, Law Enforcement & Emergency Services Video Association, Anaheim, CA.
- June 22, 2016 – California Association of Accident Reconstruction Specialists, 2016 2nd Quarter Training, Glendora, CA.
- June 9-14, 2014 – CDR Operators, Systems Analysis & Applications Course, Las Vegas, NV.
- January 20-24, 2014 – Engineering Dynamics Corporation Reconstruction Course, Burbank, CA.
- September 17-19, 2013 – PC-Crash Training, Rollover and Trailer, webinar.
- April 9, 2013 – Rail Safety Training Course, Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Los Angeles, CA.
- January, 2013 – FARO Laser Scanner Training (3 day course), Los Angeles, CA.